Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Where is Micah?

So I'm writing this post a little belatedly, but better late then never seems to be the theme with this baby. To start from the end Micah Andrew was born on Sept. 15th to my sister and her husband weighing 9 pounds 1 ounce and 21 1/2 inches long...I think.




Early last week was when the baby watch really began in earnest. That's when Jess and Dave has set their due date, and as the baby was already fairly heavy we all expected him to make an appearance sometime around then. But, alas, there was no baby to be seen. So I got a call from Jess while on my way home from work on Sunday night informing me that she was going to be induced at 5 o'clock the following morning. Now let's make a sidebar here to point out that the entire 23 minute car ride home was taken up by this phone call, that in itself is a noteworthy feat as I like to keep my phone conversations under 2 minutes. But the entire time I was driving. Let me remind you that I now drive a 5-speed so let's all take a minute to appreciate this...

Anyway, fast forwarding to 5:45 the following morning when I inexplicably woke up and thought that the baby should be beginning it's final push for freedom about now. Monday was all of a blur, I think, for everyone involved. A string of hospital waiting rooms, hurried phone calls and lots of false alarms. Kristina and I made our first visit around 2:00 (pm) until Kristina had to leave for work at 3:15. While there nothing much happened, we watched the contraction monitor bounce up and down, getting excited every time there was an especially big one.




Fast forwarding again, past a trip to Boston Market, past an encounter with Jeffery Sherman, past the news of a C-section, past a trip back home, past a trip back to the mall for Kristina's cell phone/right arm, and stopping at the nursery window. Finally after a 14 hour "labor" (she was asleep half the time and couldn't feel anything, can we really label that labor?) the end result was the beautiful, though temporarily unhappy, baby boy through the window. Jess and Dave were no where to be found, but that wasn't really that important. After they cleaned up the baby, Dave was able to cart him off to go see mommy, and the rest of his contingent.




All in all it was a very exciting and very happy day all around, and like I said, better late than never.

*NOTE*
***If anybody gets the reference in the title Justin will give you five bucks.***

5 comments:

Sara said...

Congrats, Uncle Nick. I hope you remember, by the time Micah's first birthday rolls around, that he was born on the 15th, not the 16th. ;)

Yoda said...

Touche Sara...duly noted. I guess I was just going with the whole late theme...

Fizzrate said...

"Think we left him at a show,
Think we left him in Toledo..."

Ok i owe myself $5.

Yoda said...

i knew you were the only one who would possibly get it Fizz, that's why I did that...very commendable however, now you can tell everyone how much cooler that makes the title.

Anonymous said...

My guess is the title is refering to the birth of my first grandson. Justin, you owe me $5, but because I love you, I will let it go. Nick, you write so well, the whole entry was well done. You get that from your mother. Love, Mom PS Give my 3rd grandson a pat on the head from his grandmom.