Friday, September 26, 2008

Movie Review: Smart People


When I saw the trailer for this movie I must admit I was very interested. It looked like a funny movie with smart, witty dialogue, which I love. However, I was very disappointed with this one, I don't think it delivered at all.

The main problem I had was the real lack of an interesting storyline. I think they were going for a character development angle. Dennis Quaid's journey to becoming a better less, self-centered person didn't really pan out very well, I don't think they quite got there.

Now, the whole tag line of the movie was "Even smart people have a lot to learn." Dennis Quaid and Ellen Page were both the "smart people" with a lot to learn, socially, romantically, etc. The only problem they had with that was the fact that they made a political statement out of it. Of course they had uptight, snotty Ellen Page in the Young Republicans group at school. She became the "symbol" of the Republican party as viewed from the left for the entire movie. Some examples include, but are not limited to: comparing her Young Republicans meeting to a Hitler Youth rally. Made her afraid of her widower dad dating another woman and even tried to sabotage the relationship,saying that right wingers are afraid of any change at all. Donated her dead mothers clothing to Goodwill in order to get a tax write off, saying tax write offs were better than nostalgia. There were many more but I won't go on.

Besides that there was none of that smart, witty dialouge that I was so looking forward to. They had a couple good lines but that was mostly it. They resorted to something I like to call "academia speak" in order to try and back up their title choice, none of it was good. Also, all the characters were exactly the same, they all talked the same, all had an alarmingly amazing grasp of the English language, even the not-so-bright lacky adopted brother/uncle.

There was some things to salvage of this movie however. The acting was pretty good all around, or as good as it possibly could have been. I think Thomas Haden Church's performance as the zany, clingy, irresponsible brother/uncle was the best part of the movie. Also, I got to look at Ellen Page quite a bit, no complaints there. Although it did come with the price of having to stomach Sarah Jessica Parker as well. It was also fun to see Dennis Quaid's character get some much needed slaps in the face throughout too. He was supposed to be a egotistical professor, the one everybody hates and thinks he knows everything. It was fun to see him get knocked down a couple pegs.

Overall, I don't know if this was really worth the watch, just watch the trailer, it should be enough.

6/10

1 comment:

Dave + Jess said...

I like your review. It was very thorough and insightful. I too was interested in the movie based on the title (myself being a smart people) and the witty sounding trailer. I too could learn a thing or two about social situations and what is expected of people. But alas, I cannot justify supporting a Barack Obama-pin-wearing director's bully pulpit.

Dave